The Department of Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry primarily aims to promote the oral health of children. Our department thrives to achieve a high and ethical standard of practice, promotion of education, and research in Paediatric Dentistry. Faculty is experienced to manage children of different age group from infancy through adolescence.
Department has qualified staff and was well equipped for
- Managing various emergency phases, Traumatic conditions, Early Childhood Caries, Craniofacial anomalies, Syndromes, Early Orthodontic intervention, and special child management including physically, mentally challenged and medically compromised children etc.
- Esthetic and functional rehabilitation using advanced techniques.
- Managing special children and uncooperative children under General Anesthesia.
- Managing cleft children in coordination with Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery department.
- Most of the dental diseases are preventable and Pediatric Dentistry believes strongly in the goal of “Prevention is better than cure”. Great emphasis is given to Preventive Dentistry and also in developing a positive attitude towards dentistry in the children for future. Faculty is specialized in advanced preventive mechanisms including Fluoride substitutes, Probiotics, Chemo-mechanical Caries Removal, Lesion Sterilization Tissue Repair, Minimal Invasive Dentistry with constant focus on Diet and Nutrition.
- Able to instill a positive attitude and behaviour in children towards oral health and understand the principles of prevention and preventive dentistry right from birth to adolescence.
- Able to guide and counsel the parents in regards to various treatment modalities including different facets of preventive dentistry.
- Able to treat dental diseases occurring in child patient.
- Able to manage the physically and mentally challenged disabled children effectively and efficiently, tailored to the needs of individual requirement and conditions.
Dr. Vanga V Narasimha Rao
Ch. S. N. Kumar
V. Raja Sekhar
N. S. Gautam
Dr. Jayalakshmi Pandranki
Jai Kiran K
Killi Nidesh Kumar
The department balances patient care, professional service activities and teaching. Our teaching mission is broad in scope. The department's faculty is involved in didactic, preclinical, clinical, continuing education and teaching activities. Targeted teaching audiences include third year and final year dental students, house surgeons, and postgraduate students. Through its exemplary educational, research and service programs, the Department of Pedodontics teaches undergraduate; post graduate students and house surgeons, the skills necessary for improving and maintaining the health of infants, children, adolescents and persons with special needs.
Third year, final year, interns and post graduate students had opportunity to have a massive exposure to the vast clinical material. Our students also had the opportunity to visit and treat the underprivileged children of rural and tribal areas. This exposure has helped our students a lot in pursuing higher education worldwide.
Scholarly activity includes oral presentations, Continuing Dental Education Courses, Minor and Major Original researches, Manuscript preparation and publication in refereed journals.
- School dental health program: A total of 386 oral health awareness programs including screening of oral health, Oral health education and motivation were conducted in the various government, semi aided and private schools with a strength ranging from 70-450 children. The screened children requiring treatment were handled in the department on regular basis.
- Community services extended to orphanages and rural children by bringing them to the department and providing necessary oral health care.
- Number of Submitted Major original research (Dissertations): 21
- Number of ongoing Major original research projects (Dissertations) - 15
- Number of minor original research projects completed:- 45
- Number of staff Publications in Various local, State, National and International Journals-65